This year marks our 50th anniversary at our Centre Park Historic District location.
Key to company's success: Community outreach. We make an effort to support local charities through donations as well as special events held at our historic mansion. We have sponsored events for the Reading Symphony Orchestra, Berks Opera Company, Veterans Making a Difference, Dayspring Homes, St. Francis Home and Reading Pops. We also support local and upcoming musicians and offer free concerts throughout the year. Our property is unique in Berks County funeral homes as it began life as a residence and continues to serve the community as a place of comfort and repose.
Company name: John P. Feeney Funeral Home Inc.
Founder: John P. Feeney.
Founded: 1941, moved to present location in 1969.
Year current ownership acquired the business: 1989.
Location: Centre Park Historic District, 625 N. Fourth St.
Principal leaders: Michael F. Feeney, director/owner.
Company produces: Traditional funerals, cremations, green burial, Veteran services and memorial services.
Number of employees: 5.
Mission: To serve all families and faiths throughout Berks County and surrounding areas with elegant, dignified services at affordable prices.
How company started: This year marks are 50th anniversary at our Centre Park Historic District location. Our company was founded in 1941 and at the time was located in a modest row home in the 1200 block of North 10th Street in Reading. After returning from the war in 1946, John Feeney moved his funeral home to 839 Washington St., where the business stayed for 23 years. The current Centre Park location was purchased in 1969 after the death of the owner Mary Dives, who was the daughter of the original owner James Nolan, and wife of Edward Dives, the son of Josiah Dives, one of the founders of the Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart store. The Georgian mansion was built in 1902 and maintains 90% of its original interior. Above ground there are 28 rooms and six bathrooms on three floors and more than 9,200 square feet of floor space. Several fixtures, including stain glass widows, fireplaces and leaded glass cabinets date back to the 17th century. The mansion also holds the first elevator ever installed in a residence in Reading. It is operational and can transport up to four people between the first and second floors.